vision2020@moscow.com: Are Teacher Salaries Too High? (fwd)

Are Teacher Salaries Too High? (fwd)

Bill London (london@wsunix.wsu.edu)
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 11:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

Here's a tongue in cheek appraisal of the current tussle over teachers'
wages from a special education teacher at Moscow's Lena Whitmore
Elementary School. Thought you might enjoy it...BL

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 16:29:26 -0700
From: Betsy Goodman <bgoodman@moscow.com>
Subject: Are Teacher Salaries Too High?

Idaho Perspectives:

I'm fed up with teachers and their high salary schedules. What we need
here is a little perspective.

If I had my way, I'd pay these teachers myself. I'd pay them baby-sitting
wages. That's right, instead of paying these outrageous taxes, I'd give
them $3.00 an hour out of my own pocket. And I'm paying them for 6 hours,
not for lunch and recess breaks. That would be $18.00 a day - each parent
should pay $18.00 a day for these teachers to babysit their child. Even if
they have more than one child, it's still cheaper than paying for private
day care.

Now, how many children do they teach a day - maybe 24?
That's $18.00 x 24 = $432.00 a day.
But remember, they only work 180 days a year! I'm not going to pay them
for all those vacations!
$432.00 x 180 = $77,760.00 per year.
(Just a minute, I think my calculator needs batteries.)

I know what you teachers will say - what about those who have 10 year's
experience and a master's degree? Well, maybe, to be fair, they could get
the minimum wage, and instead of just baby-sitting, they could read the
kids a story. We could round that off to about $5.00 an hour, times six
hours, times 24 children. That's $720.00 a day, times 180 days. That's
$129,600.00 per year . . . UH?

Wait a minute. Let's get some perspective here. Baby-sitting wages are
too good for these teachers. Did anyone see a salary schedule around??

This archive courtesy of:
First Step Internet