From: charris@uidaho.edu <charris@uidaho.edu>
To: Dan Carscallen <XRPredator@dirtrider.net>
Cc: Vision2020 <vision2020@moscow.com>
Date: Sunday, June 30, 2002 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: Rebuttal to US95 South

> Chuck,
>
> I realize that some of those people who live on the current route of
> US95 seem self-serving (I personally don't live there), but can you
> say that you're not?  Would you be so adamantly opposed to the highway
> realignment if you lived on the east side of Paradise Ridge?  And
> they're not sacrificing the ridge.  The deer (and moose, foxes,
> coyotes, turkeys, etc.) will still have plenty of habitat on the
> preserved portion of Paradise ridge, as well as in the Blaine area.

A DOT engineer told Mike Snow the traffic would "thin out the herd"?!!!

> As for the development issue, it all begins with people who move to
> the rural settings, then expect the same services they received when
> they lived in the more urban areas.  Most people who move to "the
> country" are ill-prepared and ill-equipped for the harsh realities
> that they encounter.
>
> Personally, just as a member of the public, I am looking forward to a
> 4-lane North-South highway for the state of Idaho.  This is the 21st
> century, after all.

Dan, I'd encourage you to move to the I-5 corridor south of Portland (where they
now have bumper-to-bumper traffic on a 4-laner, and will likely will be expanding to
six, knowing DOTs)... or Seattle, or LA, or wherever, since those high-speed,
developed, totally out-of-control places are your vision for the future of N. ID.  Leave
this region to those of us who want an alternative to that?!

Thanks,

Chuck

The realignment of US95 best serves the public

Dr. Chuck Harris, Professor
College of Natural Resources
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID  83844-1139